After the carburetor was back in, and completely hooked up, it was time for the testing and tuning phase of the operation. Whereas before I had to tune the idle speed pretty high to have just a chance to avoid stalling, now it idles at a reasonable speed and gives no sign of stalling.
Longtime readers may remember way back to when I first got the Eagle, and how I gave the transmission every chance to not need a total rebuild. In the end it was for naught. The die was cast, and the rebuilt transmission has worked great.
To the untrained eye, this may look like an ordinary, straight-gated automatic transmission shift lever.
It's not summer yet, but you wouldn't know it in the Sonoran Desert. Our summer starts in mid-to-late April and ends some time around the week of Halloween. So it may seem that I picked an odd time to fix the Eagle's heater.
All right folks, time for a touchy subject. There may be some feels. But I need your collective advice on something.
When I took the Eagle to a shop recently, to see if they could properly tune the carb and maybe make it stop stalling, they said I needed a new (rebuilt) carburetor for over $700.
I took the Eagle in to get an emissions re-test today. Using half the old gas and filling up with new gas right before the test seems to have done the trick, because it passed!! Carbon monoxide was almost nil, and hydrocarbons were down more than 1000 parts per million from last time. So you know what that means- it's…
Well, a second 3-day permit made it a legal Eagle and I picked it up from the shop Friday morning. I understand a little better what the shop meant about the rear brakes. They don't lock up, they just randomly apply and grind along for a while until they give up.
When we last left off, the Eagle was at a nearby shop, just to get its carburetor tuned to increase the chance of it passing a state emissions test, or "passing smog" as they say where I'm from.
The road test last weekend went pretty well, considering. It stalled twice near the beginning but thereafter went about its business uneventfully. I'm sure the stalling has something to do with the engine not having been run very much in the last year, and that even when the carburetor was tuned, it was tuned for …
As James May would say: GOOD NEWS!
Alert readers will recall that I said there was a problem in the drive train last time. You may also remember that I mentioned that the new U-joints were almost as hard to install as the old ones were to remove. Well, either something happened during installation, or the bearing caps were just a little too big, or…
GOT SOME ROTAS LETS GO DRIFTING
In case anyone needs a reminder, it is both your patriotic duty and moral obligation to vote for the AMC Eagle in Round 2.
Or just become one! My new Finnish racing name: Otso Kallio. I could get used to this.
Rapid progress sometimes comes at the expense of fatigue. That's pretty much where I am as I write this, on Saturday afternoon. Due to the infusion of cash from our tax refund, I've been able to get some of the last of the necessary parts for getting the Eagle on the road again. Add that to the fact that I got off of…
On Thursday night it was time to bust out some joints.
Maybe some of the rest of you are like me. If you take on a project or task intending to do it yourself, it practically kills you to have an unanticipated need to ask someone else to help. It's embarrassing, in a way. It kind of feels like, "hey, um, so I really screwed up and bit off more than I could chew, and I…
Got some deliveries for the Eagle yesterday. When these are all in, it will be tantalizingly close to being roadworthy again.
A slight change from the post about the transmission lines. Oppo user "crowmolly" noted that the parts I had oh-so-cleverly found for the transmission line connection aren't even for cars at all, and probably couldn't hold the hose securely enough to be reliable. So it was back to the drawing board, which in this case…