I suspect that it will be surreal when I wake up next Saturday and have nothing to write. There's a good chance I won't know what to do with myself and I'll end up writing an 11,000 word essay on why I suspect that Ron Gardenhire suffers from erectile dysfunction.
• 7:30, ESPNU. Soccer. FIFA U-20 World Cup. Canada vs. Chile. A natural rivalry if there ever was one.
• 8:00, ESPN. MLB. Minnesota Twins @ Detroit Tigers. Scott Baker vs. Jeremy Bonderman. Eh.
• 8:00, ESPN Classic. Movie. The Color of Money. You gotta have two things to win. You gotta have brains and you gotta have…
I spent some time watching women's golf this afternoon. This isn't something I do a lot of ... but I was rooting for Lorena Ochoa, who's got a little bit of a reputation of a ... well, a choker, in clutch situations in the majors.
• Vince Carter will continue to be a New Jersey Net. I'm sorry, New Jersey. [ESPN]
• Meanwhile, Jason Kapono becomes a Raptor. [ESPN]
• And Joe Thornton will remain a San Jose Shark. [SI]
• And Frankie Lampard rejected a deal to become the most well-paid player in Chelsea history. [Soccernet]
• Can I e-mail you, Rich…
I don't think Deebo hit Red that hard. THAT'S MY BIKE, PUNK.
There's a cute little story in the New York Times today about Angels outfielder Reggie Willits, who's raising a family in a batting cage. It's one giant room, 60 feet long and 32 feet wide, with a batting cage, kitchen, living area, beds ... and no walls between any of them.
Ignoring Crash Davis's sage advice, "Never fuck with a winning streak," Mariners manager Mike Hargrove is stepping down. He's not really giving a reason, other than to say that "his passion has begun to fade." I just think he needs to hang out with David Ross more. That'll get the passion going.
"TheNaturalMevs" of DiamondHoggers is rather upset with Reds catcher David Ross. Not just for his low batting average, but for his philandering ways. After the jump (and I can't tell exactly where that will be, the site just puts the jump wherever the hell it feels like these days), a story from a blogger's wife about…
Holyfield's opponent last night, 41-year-old Lou Savarese, is described here as "durable." Normally a fine adjective, but when applied to a boxer, "durable" sort of means "gets punched in the head a lot." And that's what Evander Holyfield, 3 years older than Savarese, did to him last night.
You may remember YouTube sensation Kige Ramsey's feral enthusiasm in this take on the Cincinnati Bengals. Kige is back, and good news: The lighting for his video has improved. Because he's in Wal-Mart. Talking about Michelle Wie. For YouTube.
• You Did It, Fans! Last night's fan walk-out at PNC Park magically fixed the Pittsburgh Pirates, I'm happy to report ... either that, or the Nationals just happen to suck worse than the Pirates. The Buccos won 7-2, thanks to a solid performance from Tom Gorzelanny, and also to the 1,000 or so people who left their…
12:00, NBC. Tennis. Wimbledon Coverage.
2:30, TNT. NASCAR. Nextel Cup. Lenox Industrial Tools 300.
1:00, TBS. MLB. Atlanta Braves @ Florida Marlins.
1:00, FOX. Formula One Racing. Grand Prix of France.
2:00, ESPN. Champ Car World Series Racing. Grand Prix of Mont-Tremblant.
3:00, NBC. LPGA Golf. U.S. Women's Open…
• WNBA. Phoenix 92, Houston 75. Penny Taylor captures the world's imagination with 26 glorious points. Or, just scores 26 points.
• MLB. Cincinnati 5, St. Louis 1. And at the midpoint of their season, the Reds are just 19 games under .500.
• Arena Football. Columbus 56, Tampa Bay 55. This is as exciting as the Arena…
The high-five being replaced with the prostate-massage ... long, long, overdue. But if this Cubs winning streaks goes much longer, I shudder to think of what's going to start happening in that dugout. Bat boys are going to have to be replaced with jizzmoppers.
• 7:00, TBS. MLB. Atlanta Braves @ Florida Marlins. You know what? I think Billy the Marlin is cute, and I won't apologize for it.
• 7:00, ESPNU. Soccer. FIFA U-20 World Cup. Argentina vs. Czech Republic. The long-anticipated rematch of their one match back when ... I don't know, they've probably played each other…
Tonight's Pirates vs. Nationals game at PNC Park is a sell-out ... the Bob Walk bobbleheads are just too great a temptation to ignore. But if some pissed off Pirates fans have their way, the stadium will empty out quickly.
• Here's a draft post that will hold your attention ... all 30 first round picks, compared to various slices of fine trim. [Insomniac's Lounge]
• Smart people love Daequan Cook. [Winning the Turnover Battle]
• And here's more - a lot more - on Daequan Cook. [SporTech Matter]
• You hate to see it come to this for…
College Football season is right around the corner. Linemen are getting in shape, quarterbacks are leaning the playbooks, Corso's getting his merkin a jheri curl ... and Arkansas RB/QB Darren McFadden is trying on his grandmother's dresses.
It's a sad commentary on the state of the summer sports scene that one of the most important things happening today (other than the Arena Football playoffs, of course) is this Mustache Madness tournament going on at Keyboard Quarterbacks.