As part of the work on the Chevelle, I’m rebuilding the engine wiring harness. There’s plenty of old stuff which can be removed, and some which can be replaced. Plus - there’s always stuff to clean.
I’m very bad at taking ‘before’ pictures, but on a project this large I do have some pictures which at the time were progress, so I wanted to share them side-by-side with current pictures, since the firewall is complete (other than some wiring).
As usual, I am terrible at remembering to take a ‘before’ picture, but recent work on the Chevelle has included refinishing the A/C relay.
Finished installed the driveshaft loop on the Chevelle this evening (with help from a coworker to hold the wrench inside the car while I tightened underneath).
Recent work on the Chevelle has been slow (mostly because this, unfortunately, isn’t my real job). Since last update, I’ve reinstalled the wiper motor/linkage, cleaned up the a/c evaporator*, finished cleaning up the housing, reinstalled that, replaced the broken blower fan, reinstalled that, and cleaned up the HVAC…
Despite not posting about it, I have still been working on the Chevelle lately. After all, I’ve got nothing better to do.
Several days ago I replaced the headlights in the 4Runner, after noticing them being marked “Japan” and being incredibly dim (original?; who makes bulbs in Japan?). New GE Nighthawk Platinum bulbs went in (this car is the easiest bulb change I’ve ever done, 5 minutes for both sides, no tools). Last night was the first…
Like, seriously. This looks good enough to make me think about it, but fortunately for my wallet it (as a wrap) would be horrible with my burgundy interior.
This summer, some friends and I (who last year bought the above Comanche in CA and drove it home to Cleveland) are going on vacation again. This time, we’re flying into San Francisco, spending a couple days on the west coast, then road tripping through Moab (stopping for a day with rental Jeeps) before ending in…
Picked up the material after work to finish patching/plating the rusted out seam on the Chevelle’s frame. Should be stronger than new now! I’ve put some paint on it and will be sure to hit the inside of this area exceptionally well with fluid film later on so it stays this way.
The <1/2" hole in the Chevelle’s frame behind the front driver’s wheel (where these always rust, there’s a seam here) turned out to have been known to someone in the past, who put some sort of metal putty in/on it to hide and/or “fix” it.
Re-installed the brake booster, MC, calipers, and re-secured the hard lines. One step closer! Tomorrow it’ll be back on the ground (or ramps).
In this photo-heavy series, I’m going through (in detail) the work going into fitting a hydraulic clutch to the Chevelle in place of the factory z-bar mechanical linkage.
In this photo-heavy series, I’ll go through in detail the work going into fitting a hydraulic clutch to the Chevelle in place of the factory z-bar mechanical linkage.
That’s a steering pun. The steering is back together on the car.
This morning I returned the not-going-to-fit-at-all hydraulic clutch kit to Summit and picked up a different one, which doesn’t pretend to be bolt-on and has name brand components. I then proceeded to not do anything related to it, and started putting the suspension back together (I did the steering box/shaft…
Recently got back from an exhausting 9-day work trip to east Texas (nice weather there this time of year!) so expect my usual Chevelle-work-related spam to resume shortly.
Right, so many parts of the Chevelle have been stripped (see previous posts) and on Sunday were ready for degreasing and paint. This was a success, and yesterday I did a few touch-ups and detail work, particularly on the tie rods.
Today after work on this exceptionally nice day, I walked past the crown vic on the way to get the mail as I do every day. This time though, something felt different. I decided to start it and maybe take a quick trip around the block since it hadn’t been run since I got back from the Detroit Auto Show.